Spicy Kickin’ Cucumbers have just the right amount of kick and sweet to satisfy any craving! Easy to prepare and enjoy!
Sharing one of my all time favorites. I adopted this cucumber recipe from a co-worker and it has been a hit ever since! This cucumber recipe offers a creative side for any potluck or family gathering. Spicy Kickin’ Cucumbers have just the right mixture of sweet tang and kick. The longer you let them sit in the white wine vinegar marinade, the better they are!
The key to this recipe is to salt your cucumbers about a hour or two before you are ready to prepare the recipe. What do I mean by this? You will want to slice your cucumbers either by hand or using a food processor. Then add them to a colander over a bowl or the sink and sprinkle about a half tablespoon of salt over them and toss to get the water out. You will want to let them sit in the salt mixture for about a half hour to get a decent amount of liquid out. The more water you get out, the more vinegar goodness you get in when you are ready to prepare this recipe.
I love making this quick cucumber recipe for:
a refreshing side to a summer pasta salad
holiday side dishes
served alone as they really are that good!
- 4 large cucumbers (you can peel the skins off of summer cucumbers or leave the skin on hot house cucumbers)
- ¾ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 small scallion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dill
- ½ tablespoon white pepper
- 1 bunch green onions
- ½ tablespoon table salt
- *additional (optional)
- sour cream for dipping
- Slice cucumbers by hand or using a food processor (the thinner the better).
- Add cucumbers to a large colander and set over the sink or a large pot to allow water to drain.
- Sprinkle ½ tablespoon table salt over cucumbers and toss lightly to cover cucumbers in salt.
- Set aside for a half hour to hour to allow salt to draw liquid from cucumbers.
- While waiting on cucumbers, wash and thinly slice scallion and green onion, set aside.
- Drain water and add cucumbers to large bowl.
- In separate bowl combine: ¾ cup white wine vinegar, ½ cup white sugar, the sliced scallion, 1 tablespoon dill, ½ tablespoon white pepper, and the sliced green onion. Whisk until well blended.
- Pour wet ingredients over sliced cucumbers and toss until cucumbers are well coated.
- Serve immediately or allow to marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving. The longer you leave the cucumbers in the vinegar mixture, the more mix they will absorb. This recipe keeps well in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.