[ReviewDisclaimer] It is that time of year again where I plan to spend more time…
It has always been a rule around our house that you do not throw away any type of container that can be used later. We’re talking the plastic butter containers, cool whip containers, the plastic chinese take-out containers,and pickle jars. You may be laughing now, but I guarantee you that at least once in your lifetime those precious holiday leftovers that we hold near and dear will be stored in one of the above mentioned containers at some point.
Why use your good Tupperware, when you can reuse everyday containers that would normally be thrown out?
We have a pretty well planned system at my mom’s house where my sister and I are usually packing up leftovers after a family meal. We’ve just about got it down to a science and can knock out leftover packing in a few minutes. This all goes well as long as we remember to bring our left over containers and something to carry them home in.
Here are a few Thanksgiving Day Leftover Packing Tips:
- Liquids like gravy and soups travel better in a mason jar with a lid.
- Layer saran wrap between the jar and lid to prevent a spill.
- Rolls, cookies, brownies and treats travel well in a plastic or brown paper lunch bag. You can buy a pack of 20 brown paper bags from the Dollar Store.
- Double bag ice cubes in a ziploc bag to make an instant cold pack for items that need temporary refrigeration on the way home.
- A clean sock filled with rice makes an instant heat pack. Put rice in the sock, and tie it off. Microwave for 2 minutes and you have an instant heat pack that will carry heat for about 30 minutes. (PSA on the socks: Cleanliness and Quality are left up to you. I would not recommend making a meal of the rice after you get to your destination.)
- Stuff a few plastic grocery bags in an old Lysol Wipes container. This keeps them all in one place, and makes an easy grab and go solution to keep in the car.
- Packing leftovers in a bag will be easier than tackling a bunch of loose containers. Plastic bags can also be used as temporary trash bags in the car to keep trash in its place.
I am cooking for my family this year and have already been saving and washing containers to send food home in. May your Thanksgiving be peaceful and your leftovers be plenty!
Until the next Hot Mess…..